Haverhill mum loses home in flat fire - police investigate

HAVERHILL: Mother and son made homeless by fire
Shanice Shepherd and son Bradley Drayson 2 who have been made homeless by a fire at her home in Haverhill

Picture Mark Westley ANL-160615-094209009
HAVERHILL: Mother and son made homeless by fire Shanice Shepherd and son Bradley Drayson 2 who have been made homeless by a fire at her home in Haverhill Picture Mark Westley ANL-160615-094209009
0
Have your say

A young mum left homeless after fire swept through her flat in Haverhill has praised the generosity of people who rallied round to help her.

Shanice Shepherd and her son Bradley Drayson, two, were fortunately away from their home in Gannet Close on Saturday afternoon when the blaze broke out at the ground floor flat.

Neighbours had to be evacuatad and police are currently investigating the fire as possible arson.

Shanice, 23, was visiting her mum who lives in the town and was notified about the fire by a friend on social media.

She said: “I thought it would be a little fire.but it wasn’t. I’m just so glad we weren’t in the flat.”

She is now staying with her mum until she can be rehoused by Haverbury Housing Partnership.

She said: “I lost everything. All my friends and even people I don’t know have been helping me out.

“I’m surprised what Haverhill people do when something like this happens and how generous they have been. It’s been overwhelming. People have offered me clothes and toys for Bradley.”

The fire happened between 1.30pm and 1.40pm on Saturday and caused considerable damage to the flat and smoke damage to neighbouring homes.

Police would like anyone with information about the incident to call Bury St Edmunds CID on 101 quoting reference 38087/16 or to contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111