A man has been arrested after an incident involving the theft of heating oil in Withersfield.
The offence took place at around 5am this morning (Wednesday, December 4), at an address in Burton Hill.
The victim had woken up early and heard noises in the alleyway beside their property. When they went to investigate, a container was seen near to the oil tank and figure was then seen in the alleyway.
The victim immediately called the police and on arrival, officers searched the area resulting in a suspect being detained nearby.
A 44-year-old man from London, was subsequently arrested on suspicion of theft and taken to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre where he is currently being held for questioning.
Police recommend members of the public consider the following measures to protect heating oil tanks:
· Screen your tank with fencing or hedges
· Close and secure any gates leading to the tank
· Conceal or cover any external pipes and fuel lines
· Install dusk to dawn security lighting. CCTV is also a good deterrent
· Install lockable caps supported by a closed shackle padlock
· Consider installing a tank alarm
· Join a Neighbourhood Watch scheme