It’s the start of a new year, so kick it off in style.
After eating too much turkey over the festive period, beat off those January blues and try a tasty sandwich.
Sandwiches are one of Britain’s favourite lunchtime snacks.
Did you know?
• British consumers eat their way through more than 11.5 billion sandwiches each year.
• More than three billion sandwiches are bought from retail or catering outlets each year.
• Chicken is the most popular sandwich filling in commercially made sandwiches, and makes up 30 per cent of all sandwich fillings.
The theme this month is ‘Re-Kindle Your Love for the Sandwich,’ and the British Sandwich Association is encouraging consumers to go to their local sandwich bar to try a sandwich that they have not previously tasted.
To add a little more fire to the occasion, the Association is offering consumers the chance to win a Kindle Fire HD in an on-line draw during January.
To enter just visit the Association’s consumer website at www.lovesarnies.com/yum/index.php/competitions
Try this recipe out at home for a Leerdammer, mango, mint and chilli onion salsa wholemeal sandwich.
– Leerdammer lightlife
– Wholemeal thick sliced bread
– Mango, mint and chilli onion salsa
– Iceberg lettuce
– Spread cheese on the bread, add salad and salsa and finish with a little more cheese on top.
For all the latest news see Thursday’s (January 17) Echo.