DCSIMG

Texting a girl breached court order

Embargoed to 0001 Wednesday May 15

File photo dated 15/01/13 of a general view of a Samsung Galaxy S3 mobile phone as mobile phones are making it increasingly difficult to rest in peace with almost a fifth of funerals interrupted by obtrusive ringing, according to research by The Co-operative Funeralcare. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Wednesday May 15, 2013. A survey of 2,000 people found that two in five people do not turn their phone off during a funeral service and a small percentage of mourners refuse to turn down the volume. One in 16 people admitted to accidentally receiving a message on their phone during a funeral while one in six said they had seen others trying to frantically turn off a ringing phone. See PA story FUNERAL Mobiles. Photo credit should read: Nick Ansell/PA Wire

Embargoed to 0001 Wednesday May 15 File photo dated 15/01/13 of a general view of a Samsung Galaxy S3 mobile phone as mobile phones are making it increasingly difficult to rest in peace with almost a fifth of funerals interrupted by obtrusive ringing, according to research by The Co-operative Funeralcare. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Wednesday May 15, 2013. A survey of 2,000 people found that two in five people do not turn their phone off during a funeral service and a small percentage of mourners refuse to turn down the volume. One in 16 people admitted to accidentally receiving a message on their phone during a funeral while one in six said they had seen others trying to frantically turn off a ringing phone. See PA story FUNERAL Mobiles. Photo credit should read: Nick Ansell/PA Wire

A Haverhill man who breached an order banning him from contacting a teenage girl has been given a suspended prison sentence.

Ipswich Crown Court heard on Friday that Mark Butler, 27, of Somerset Court, had already spent four months in custody awaiting sentencing.

Butler was charged with breaching a restraining order made earlier this year and which banned him from making any contact with a 16-year-old girl.

The order had been granted when Butler was sentenced in March for an offence of harrassment.

Prosecuting, Peter Gair said that in the early hours of August 11 the girl received a text message on her phone which she found upsetting and contained foul language and which she believed to have been sent by Butler.

More text messages followed together with messages on Facebook which, although not bearing Butler’s name, were apparent to the girl that they had originated from him, said Mr Gair.

The messages appeared to have been written with the intention of causing the girl distress, said Mr Gair. He said the girl appeared to have been seriously affected psychologically.

Butler was arrested on August 14 and when interviewed by police declined to make any comment. He pleaded guilty to breach of a restraining order when he appeared in court in November.

Defending, Jonathan Goodman said Butler had no previous convictions for any other matter and had pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity.

Sentencing him, Mr Recorder Jeremy Benson QC told Butler: “Any breach of a court order is taken very seriously. “

Mr Recorder Benson sentenced Butler to four months imprisonment suspended for two years and placed him under Probation Service supervision for two years. Butler was warned that the restraining order remains in force.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page