Video: Haverhill Rovers 3 Felixstowe and Walton United 1

Waiting for Video...

Haverhill Rovers bounced back from shipping and early goal to ease past Felixstowe at the New Croft on Saturday (February 2).

Ben Cranfield put the visitors ahead in the third minute by Rovers dominated from then on, equalising through Dan Cornwell five minutes before the break.

They continued the second half in the same manner as Jack Higgs put them ahead three minutes after the restart and ensuring victory with 35 minutes to go, with Rovers squandering other chances to go further ahead.

The game had barely begun when Perry Moody left the ball for Elliott Anderson, though as the goalkeeper failed to advance Cranfield seized the opportunity to surge forward and steer the ball home for surprise lead for the Seasiders.

Rovers soon composed themselves and began to show their superiority as Cornwell had a goal ruled offside six minutes later and then Neil Cogger’s shot just over after going clean through.

Anderson almost let Roman Garett’s long range free kick creep under the bar, just getting a hand to it before Stuart Kingham cleared it off the line, and Higgs then chipped narrowly over the bar before Cogger’s fierce low drive was just tipped wide by Daniel Crump.

Cornwell flicked Jack Wilkinson’s pass goalbound only to see it tipped away by the goalkeeper.

From Marc Abbott’s corner Callum Harrison headed the ball back into the box for Cornwell to poke home an equaliser to level the game at the interval.

Rovers’ dominance continued after the break as Wilkinson’s long cross found Cornwell at the far post, though after the striker uncharacteristically made a mess of the chance he managed to pull the ball back to the centre of the area, where Higgs sidefooted home a composed finish.

Three points were assured after 55 minutes when Marc Abbott’s corner was headed into the box where an acrobatic Higgs leaped back to meet the ball with a scissor kick and fire it into the centre of the goal.

A long chip from Cogger rattled the bar just before the hour mark and Higgs almost secured the match ball as his piledriver was just tipped over the top corner by Crump.

Kingham’s header from a corner was stopped on the line and Crump then spilled the ball but Cornwell failed to convert in stoppage time as Rovers finished in the ascendancy.

Rovers next play at Ely City in the league tomorrow (Tuesday, February 5, 3pm kick off).

For all the latest sport see Thursday’s (February 7) Echo.




Back to the top of the page