Home   News   Article

Former Haverhill solicitor died after suffering a very 'rare' set of complications following an 8ft fall

A retired Haverhill solicitor and popular community figure died from “extremely rare” complications more than three weeks after falling from a wall in his garden, an inquest has heard.

Paul Cammiss, 69, had been trimming a hedge at his home in Wratting Road on January 21 when he fell 8ft onto concrete while attempting to move to another section of wall.

The inquest today (Monday) at Suffolk Coroners Court in Ipswich was told that an ambulance crew called to the address found Mr Cammiss conscious and he was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge.

Paul Cammiss at work at Adams Harrison Solicitors. Picture courtesy of Adams Harrison
Paul Cammiss at work at Adams Harrison Solicitors. Picture courtesy of Adams Harrison

Mr Cammiss, who had landed on his buttocks and then struck his head was assessed by doctors before being allowed to return home with pain relief having suffered a lower spinal fracture and a small haemorrhage to his head.

Assistant Suffolk Coroner Dr Daniel Sharpstone said that initially no problems were reported but 20 days later Mr Cammiss was sent back to hospital by his GP after reporting that he felt drowsy.

Scans revealed a leak of spinal fluid and a brain haemorrhage and Mr Cammiss underwent surgery for several hours to remove clots but the following day a large brain haemorrhage a detected and a day later he died on February 15.

The inquest heard that the effects of Mr Cammiss’s injuries involving a leak of spinal fluid and a bleed on the brain had combined to create an “extremely rare series” of complications which meant that his death was unavoidable.

A specialist at Addenbrooke’s said the situation was so unusual that there were few previous cases documented to which they could have referred.

An internal review at Addenbrooke’s rated the treatment and care received by Mr Cammiss as “excellent” and concluded that it could not be faulted.

Dr Sharpstone recorded a conclusion that Mr Cammiss died from the consequences of a fall.

In March, the Echo featured a story about Mr Cammiss in which friends and colleagues paid touching tribute to him. READ IT HERE

Mr Cammiss, who was a tireless supporter of good causes, had for almost five decades been a member of the Round Table and the 41 Club.

For 26 years he deputised for Father Christmas on the Round Table sleigh as it toured Haverhill.

Mr Cammiss leaves a widow Lin, to whom he had been married for 46 years and two daughters, Justine and Gemma and three grandchildren.

He worked a a solicitor in Haverhill for more than 40 years before his retirement in 2014, initially for 16 years aspartner at Adams and Land before it merged with Harrison & Co to become Adams Harrison.

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More