Home   News   Article

Former Boxer died after accidental overdose




No Caption ABCDE ENGANL00120130822151639
No Caption ABCDE ENGANL00120130822151639

A former champion boxer, who suffered from chronic back pain, died after taking too much painkiller, an inquest has heard.

David Bull, 58, was found dead at his home in Elmdon Place, Haverhill on March 10.

An inquest into his death was held on Tuesday, August 11, in Bury St Edmunds.

The inquest heard that Mr Bull, a former West Suffolk champion boxer, had often suffered from severe pain as a result of an accident he had had.

He took morphine to alleviate this, but had not correctly measured the amount of the medication he took.

Deputy Suffolk Coroner, Yvonne Blake, said Mr Bull had been seen on occasions to drink directly from a bottle of morphine medication.

The inquest heard that Mr Bull’s use of the medicine was an attempt to contain the effects of an accident he had had 20 years earlier.

Mr Bull had sometimes panicked because he felt that the morphine was losing the ability to deal with his pain.

As a result of this, he took more than the recommended dose, said Mrs Blake.

In a statement, Mr Bull’s daughter, Jodie, paid tribute to her father.

She said he had “more loyalty in his little finger than most do in their whole bodies.”

Mr Bull had previously been a keen footballer and a boxer. He had been looking forward to the year ahead, and had been looking forward to spending time with his first grandchild.

A post mortem examination concluded that Mr Bull died as a result of morphine overdose.

The deputy coroner said there was no evidence that Mr Bull had intended to take his own life but had been using the morphine in an attempt to control his pain.

She recorded a narrative verdict that Mr Bull died as a result of morphine overdose with no evidence that he intended to take his own life.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More