Home   News   Article

Haverhill Echo ten years ago




Echo, October 6, 2005

COTTAGE DESTROYED IN BLAZE

A couple watched their 400-year-old cottage go up in flames just one month before they were due to get married.

But Nick Totty and Jo Hambloch made light of the fire at their Castle Camps home, which took firefighters seven hours to put out.

Mr Totty joked: “The wedding presents will be easy. Towels, pillowcases - the sort of things we wouldn’t normally want at our age.”

The couple, who were put up in a neighbouring cottage by a friend, thought the fire may have been started by a spark that got through a gap in the chimney breast into a void above their bedroom.

PARKING PROBLEMS; RESIDENTS REASSURED

People living in Duddery Hill, Haverhill, were told by Suffolk County Council that something was going to be done to stop cars being parked in front of their drives.

The county council said that it intended to introduce waiting restrictions in the next financial year.

Residents thought that workers at nearby Burtons Coaches were leaving their cars in front of the drives.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More