Mum’s gratitude to Haverhill first aiders as son has fit
A mum has expressed her gratitude to Haverhill’s first responders after her son had a fit and fell unconscious.
Evan Giddings, four, suffered a febrile convulsion related to an extremely high temperature, on Sunday .
Evan’s mum, 31-year-old Lauren Giddings, who is six months pregnant, said she was hysterical as she tried to get help.
She said: “He had been unwell that morning but wasn’t showing any symptoms that made me worry.
“He was lying on the sofa and, all of a sudden, he started fitting. I didn’t know what to do. I’m a trained nurse, but it’s different when it’s your own child. You panic.
“I had not realised his temperature was so high. I was just thinking the worst. His eyes were rolling. This went on for about three minutes and, after that, he wouldn’t wake up properly.”
Lauren called an ambulance, which arrived after a 25-minute wait. Happily, the Haverhill Community First Responders were on hand before that, to lend their assistance.
“The first responders were notified by the ambulance service and they came and gave Evan some oxygen and made sure his heart rate was okay.
“If you’re waiting for a long time, it is nice to know that someone else is there to help, and give first aid when you need it.”
Evan regained consciousness, and was taken to hospital where he remained over night. He is now recovering at home.
Lauren praised the rapid response of the first responders, a voluntary organisation, and thanked them for their efforts.
“I know they don’t get paid,” added Lauren. “I don’t even think they get petrol money for getting to emergencies. They give up their free time and do a really good job.
“It really helped us at a time we needed it most.”