Residents overcome by fumes when barbecue brought indoors

No Caption ABCDE ENGANL00120130822151802
No Caption ABCDE ENGANL00120130822151802

Residents were rushed to hospital after being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes from a barbecue which had been brought indoors for warmth.

A fire crew from Sawston and another from Cambridge were called to a property in Plantation Road, Sawston at about 1.30am on Wednesday August 27.

The crews were responding to reports of a carbon monoxide alarm going off at the property.

A number of casualties had been overcome by fumes from a barbecue.

The barbecue had been brought into the property for occupants to keep themselves warm.

A total of 12 casualties were waiting outside the property when the fire service arrived.

The ambulance service took 10 people to hospital.

Crews ventilated the building thoroughly and made it safe before assisting the ambulance service with first aid.

The fire crews returned to their stations by 3.20am.

Station Commander Wayne Swales said: “Bringing a heat source like a barbecue, which is designed for outdoor use, inside a property is extremely dangerous as this incident has highlighted and should never be done.

“Not only does it put the residents at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, but it is also a serious fire hazard.

“Luckily, this property was fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm, which alerted the residents to the situation so they were able to seek help.

“Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and we would urge residents to think about fitting a carbon monoxide detector in their properties.”