Two fire crews rush to Haverhill blaze

Two fire crews were called to a blaze at a Haverhill home on Tuesday (February 5).

One crew rushed to attend to the fire, in Burton End, at 12.12am, though while they were en route a second call came in saying there was a blaze in the stairwell.

A second crew was thus sent and they found a mattress on fire in the building stairwell upon their arrival.

Crews used one hose reel to bring the fire under control by 12.34am.

It is believed the fire was caused accidentally by an electric blanket that was on the mattress, which had been removed from where the fire started and put into the hallway.

Nobody was hurt and crews were back at the station by 12.51am.

For all the latest news see Thursday’s (February 14) Echo.