Home   News   Article

UPDATE: Victim of fatal fire named

Del Watson ANL-150319-155550001
Del Watson ANL-150319-155550001

A local man who was killed in a house fire this morning has been named.

The victim was named locally as Del Watson, a retired detective with the Metropolitan Police.

Mr Watson’s body was found earlier this morning (Thursday, March 19) after a fire broke out in a three storey house in Bellings Road.

The alarm was raised at about 2.30am and the fire spread to an adjoining terraced property, causing extensive damage to the second floor of each house.

Six fire appliances attended the scene in total, and four of them remain there ensuring the properties are damped down and secure.

It is believed that Mr Watson was living alone in the house at the time.

A joint investigation is currently being carried out by fire investigation officers and scene of crime officers from the police to try and establish the cause of the fire.

Speaking at the scene, Haverhill Fire Station commander, Paul Goodman, said: “When we arrived the dormer window at the back and dormer window at the front had fire coming out of them, so the whole of the second floor was involved in fire.

“This rapidly spread to the property next door and then we had six appliances attending. We sent four and our control, realising the scale of the incident from the calls that were coming in, sent for an additional pump.

“We made it six appliances in all to stop it spreading to the adjacent property, which we managed to do.

“We went in to search and extinguish the fire and unfortunately came across the occupant. Nobody else was involved in the incident.

“There were about ten people evacuated from adjacent properties by the fire crews in really difficult conditions for them.

“The roof was collapsing about them and they had someone to find so it was an incredibly challenging situation for the teams in there and they did a great job in preventing the fire from spreading.”

The house next door, which was occupied by Karrie Scarbrow, her husband Adam, and seven-year-old son, Harrison, was also devastated by the fire.

A community fund-raising group has been set up to help the family get back on its feet.

Karrie’s sister, Sarah Meadows, said: “Harrison, Adam and Karrie are all safe and doing well.

“I don’t think Harrison really understands the magnitude of what has happened. It hasn’t really sunk in.

“They’re all really touched by the way local people are banding round and supporting them.”

People can donate to help the Scarbrow family at http://www.gofundme.com/paeatw

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More