Warning after Haverhill family’s cat is poisoned

Alfie, the four-year-old Bengal cat, who died after being poisoned, possibly by ingesting anti-freeze ANL-151028-083439001
Alfie, the four-year-old Bengal cat, who died after being poisoned, possibly by ingesting anti-freeze ANL-151028-083439001
Share this article

The traumatic poisoning of a family’s cherished pet has triggered a warning for people to be careful with liquids that can be fatal to cats.

Jason Frost, of Bellings Road in Haverhill said people need to be watchful with poisonous fluids like anti-freeze and paint after the death of four-year-old Alfie, a strikingly beautiful Bengal breed cat that had been obtained from Jaybeth Animal Sanctuary, in Barnardiston, as a kitten.

Mr Frost explained: “On October 16 he swallowed some sort of poison. We took him to the vets on Saturday and he had to be put down on Sunday.

“It was very traumatic. I’ve got a ten-year-old stepson and he was just sobbing his eyes out.

“The vet did confirm it was some sort of poison, most likely to be anti-freeze because cats like it as its got a sweet taste.

“What probably could have happened is that Alfie could have just licked it off his fur.

“If someone does any sort of painting and they leave the paint trays out, obviously they collect rain water and Alfie could have taken water that way.”

Mr Frost does not believe the poisoning was deliberate, although he has reported it to the Police ‘just in case.’

He added: “Poisonings are not too common but it does happen and it tends to be people being too careless or leaving things lying around or spilling them.

“We got Alfie when he was six weeks old. Cats normally live to be 12 to 14-years-old so four years is incredibly short as well and he was my stepson’s cat, which is why he was so upset.”