Home   Sport   Article

Armes to the rescue for Diss

LATE EQUALISER: Jason Armes scored in the 88th minute to salvage a point for Diss Town against Haverhill Borough
LATE EQUALISER: Jason Armes scored in the 88th minute to salvage a point for Diss Town against Haverhill Borough

THURLOW NUNN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE: Diss Town 1-1 Haverhill Borough

A Jason Armes header two minutes from time secured Diss Town a share of the spoils from their home encounter against Haverhill Borough this afternoon.

It was a match in which the visitors created numerous chances before and after their 72nd-minute deadlock breaker, but their lack of a clinical touch was ultimately the deciding factor at Brewers Green Lane.

There were only six minutes on the clock when Diss goalkeeper George MacRae was called into action twice in quick succession.

First, the gloveman showed good reflexes to turn over Casey Phillips’ header, then he was able to push away Craig Pruden’s effort at the back post.

Up the other end, Sam Page headed Sam Bryant’s cross from the right flank way over, while the first half concluded with another Borough attack that saw captain Gareth Thomas flash the ball across the face of goal.

The trend continued after the restart when the away side’s Ryan Phillips picked out Pruden inside the Diss area. However, the midfielder took too long to get the ball out of his feet and by the time that he got his shot away, MacRae was off his line to block.

But, Pruden was much more decisive 18 minutes from time when the next chance presented itself.

Rory Bone’s long ball forward picked out Jarid Robson, who managed to get goal-side of the home team’s rearguard. Rather than go for goal himself, the attacker rolled the ball into the path of the onrushing Pruden and from 10 yards out he found the net via a deflection.

Having fallen behind, the hosting Tangerines seemed to awake from their slumber, yet it was still Borough that created the game’s next meaningful opening with 81 minutes on the clock.

Again it was Pruden involved as he scampered clear to latch on to substitute Charlie Holmes’ through ball, but this time MacRae won the duel.

For all of their possession, Diss were still finding it difficult to work Graham Smith in the Haverhill goal.

Wednesday evening’s two-goal hero Shaun Hunsdon had arguably their best chance, but he could not make a clean connection with his volley.

That changed in the 88th minute, though, when Bryant swung over a corner from the left and the alert Armes planted his header beyond a helpless Smith.

There was still enough time left for Borough to carve out one final attempt as Thomas headed Bone’s corner goalwards, only for Bryant to hack clear off the line.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More