Home   Sport   Article

Haverhill Rovers secure their first win of the season

Haverhill Rovers players celebrate scoring against Walsham-le-Willows in their 2-1 win. Picture: Sideline Photography
Haverhill Rovers players celebrate scoring against Walsham-le-Willows in their 2-1 win. Picture: Sideline Photography



Haverhill Rovers 2 Walsham-le-Willows 1

Haverhill Rovers earned their first win of the season thanks to second half goals from Nick Wilderspin and Ty Alleyne.

Following Saturday’s first point of the season in the 2-2 draw at Swaffham Town, Rovers went into the game looking for a positive performance and result to turn their season around.

The home team started brightly and looked comfortable in possession as they played some good attacking football, with the front three of Alleyne, Owen Longley and Ryan Weaver looking lively, as they worked the Walsham defence hard.

The first chance of the game fell to Haverhill as Alleyne beat the left back and delivered a great cross that Weaver just failed to make contact with in the box.

At the other end Walsham’s main threat looked to be set piece deliveries into the box but they found Alex Archer’s handling assured in the home goal to rule the threat out.

Rovers continued to have the better possession in the first half and created a number of half chances that kept the visitors’ keeper, Craig Brand, busy with a number of comfortable saves.

Again the Rovers started the second half strongly and forced a number of early corners.

It was from one of those corners that they took a deserved lead when player-manager Michael Shinn’s delivery was met by Alleyne whose effort brought a good save out of Brand only to see the ball fall to centre-half Wilderspin who fired the ball home.

After the goal the game became more open as Walsham were forced into playing a higher line as they went in search of a goal.

Rovers looked very solid off the ball both in defence and midfield and the home team still looked the bigger threat moving forwards as they created a number of chances with Alleyne, Longley, Weaver and Riki Baker all going close to increasing the lead.

The lead was doubled after a good through ball from Shinn saw Alleyne power past the Walsham defence and finish well into the bottom corner.

The visitors were then reduced to ten men when Josh Curry received a second yellow card for a foul on Weaver who was clean through on goal but to their credit they continued to push forward.

Walsham were awarded a last minute penalty that was converted by Andrew Wood to give them a late consolation that did little to tarnish a good home performance that saw Rovers win their first game of the season and climb up to 15th in the table.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More