Home   Sport   Article

Rovers progress into Premier Cup quarters

FOOTBALL - Haverhill Rovers v Diss Town''Pictured: Ben Lewis (D) and Nick Wilderspin (H) ANL-150427-084936009
FOOTBALL - Haverhill Rovers v Diss Town''Pictured: Ben Lewis (D) and Nick Wilderspin (H) ANL-150427-084936009



Mildenhall Town 1

Haverhill Rovers 2

Haverhill Rovers came from behind to beat Mildenhall Town 2-1 and advance into the quarter-finals of the Suffolk Premier Cup on Tuesday.

Mildenhall may wonder how they came away from the all-Thurlow Nunn League tie without progressing to the next round, but it was Haverhill who gained revenge for their defeat to their Premier Division rivals earlier this season in the FA Cup.

The hosts went in front on 11 minutes when Dan Brown cut in from the right and, with fortunate deflections off two defenders keeping the ball at his feet, saw his shot find the net despite Rovers goalkeeper Alex Archer getting a hand to the ball.

A fast-paced second round tie only had the one goal to its name at half-time, however Haverhill got back on level terms in the 64th minute.

Luke Haines tried his luck from 40 yards out with Mildenhall goalkeeper Josh Pope off his line and reacting to tip his effort over the bar.

From the resultant corner Martyn Farrant headed the ball home for his second goal in two games.

This rattled the home side and they found themselves behind to what proved to be the winning goal after 76 minutes.

Tyrone Alleyne brought down a free-kick by Haines, and after his shot was blocked Nick Wilderspin put the rebound into the bottom corner to send Rovers into the last eight of the Premier Cup.

n On Saturday, Haverhill twice came from behind to claim a share of the spoils at Kirkley and Pakefield.

Kirkley first led on eight minutes through Lewis Flower’s header, before Rovers equalised from the penalty spot when Perry Moody converted the spot kick five minutes into first-half added time.

Flower’s afternoon ended in the 58th minute when he received a red card for violent conduct, but it was the 10 men of the home side who went ahead again through Matthew Brown in the 72nd minute.

Farrant struck four minutes later secured Rovers a point and leaves them in 13th place in the Premier Division, ahead of hosting Ipswich Wanderers on Saturday (3pm).

n Haverhill Rovers Under-21s made it four straight wins with a 3-2 victory at their Brentwood Town counterparts on Monday.

Rovers took the lead when Rory Jebb found himself in a one-on-one and coolly slid the ball into the bottom corner.

Jebb then doubled Haverhill’s lead from the penalty spot for sixth goal in two games, before Brentwood pulled one back with a penalty of their own.

Oliver Stevenson quickly restored Haverhill’s two-goal cushion, and after Brentwood reduced their lead to just the one goal again, Rovers were able to hold on to continue their winning run.

n Haverhill Rovers Veterans were also victorious as they won 1-0 at Bacton United 89 Veterans in the Suffolk Veterans Cup second round.

Despite the heavy schedule of games resulting in more injuries to the squad, Rovers continued with their usual continental style of play.

Haverhill finally broke the deadlock when a perfect 30 yard pass by Stephen Kennedy landed at the feet of Julian Hardy, who lobbed the Bacton goalkeeper to give them the lead and send them through to the next round.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More