Home   Sport   Article

WEEKEND ROUND-UP: Bury Town dumped out of FA Trophy

Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press

Bury Town’s FA Trophy campaign is over for another year following their first-round defeat at the hands of Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday afternoon.

Goals either side of the break from Nyren Clunisc and Ryan Moss put the visitors of the Ryman League Premier Division in command at Ram Meadow.

Ipswich Town loanee Cemal Ramadan reduced the arrears 10 minutes from time with a volley into the bottom corner, but despite some late pressure from Ben Chenery’s men, Dulwich held out to book their place in the second round.

Elsewhere, Needham Market’s unbeaten run that dated back to early November came to an end as Enfield Town recorded a 3-2 victory at Bloomfields.

Luke Ingram and former Colchester United midfielder Kem Izzet were on target for the Marketmen, but a brace from Tyler Campbell and a strike from Corey Whitley condemned the hosts to their first defeat in eight outings.

Mildenhall Town drew for the seventh time in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division this season when they played host to Paul Smith’s Walsham-le-Willows at Recreation Way.

It was the away side that took the lead into the break courtesy of Thomas Driscoll, who lashed a swerving effort into the top corner from 30 yards out. The response from Mildenhall came five minutes after the restart courtesy of Rob Ruddy’s low strike that found the bottom corner.

In the Thurlow Nunn First Division, Diss Town’s winless sequence of form was stretched to seven games after they were forced to settle for a 1-1 draw from their home encounter with Haverhill Borough.

Jamie George looked to have earned Diss all three points when he scored from the rebound after his initial penalty had been saved by Borough goalkeeper Charlie Turner, only for Matt Staines to earn the away side a share of the spoils.

Meanwhile, Debenham LC moved up to 10th position thanks to their 1-0 home win over King’s Lynn Town Reserves, with Jake Gathercole’s late goal proving to be decisive.

In rugby, Bury St Edmunds bounced back from recent defeats at the hands of Redingensians and Southend with a 17-13 win over Dorking.

It seemed that Bury were about to suffer a third straight loss when a drop goal from George Jackson put the visitors 13-10 ahead with seven minutes remaining.

However, moments later an offload from Bury’s Will Aflleck sent Kiwi Matt Hema through cover and over for a try to leave Gavin Hogg’s side ninth in the National League Two South.



Premier Division: Needham Market 2, Enfield Town 3.

FA Trophy First Round Proper: Bury Town 1, Dulwich Hamlet 2.

Division North: AFC Sudbury 1, Phoenix Sports 0; Soham Town Rangers 2, Haringey Borough 1.


Premier Division: Long Melford v Gorleston abandoned; Mildenhall Town 1, Walsham le Willows 1.

First Division: Haverhill Borough 1, AFC Sudbury 4 (Wednesday 9) Debenham LC 1, King’s Lynn Town 0; Diss Town 1, Haverhill Borough 1; Downham Town 2, Cornard Utd 1.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More